Thursday, March 4, 2010

Two breweries within a mile of the house

Funny story about Goose Island. When we were looking for a house to buy in Chicago, we also looked for breweries or brew pubs to visit for a tour or lunch. At the time, there were two in the city - Goose Island and Piece. We tried both on the same rainy cold weekend in April 2008. We had a good lunch at Goose Island and sampled eight of the ales. "312," one of the area codes for Chicago, is a wheat beer that is on tap in a lot of bars. The Matilda is one of the higher end, and higher abv, ales. I find it to be a sort of sweet Belgian-style ale, but it often is the best offering on tap. The Demolition is probably my favorite of those pictured. There is a good back story to the ale and I think it has a little more malt and finishes a little crisper than the Matilda. Not pictured are the Juliet, which I found to be very similar to the Sofie, and the Feur, my favorite Goose Island ale. I had this on tap one night and, sadly, I have not seen it since.

That same weekend, we tried Piece, a New Haven-style pizzeria in what would turn out to be our neighborhood. Piece also brews beer. I have tried a bunch, but my favorite seems to be the Worryin' Ale, it is described as a brown ale, but I think of it more as a mild session ale, not very brown. I think the beer is only available at the restaurant (eat in or a growler to go), but it is worth a trip. While you are there, I recommend a red pizza with extra cheese and extra sauce. If I'm around, I'll come meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment