Thursday, March 4, 2010

More from Colorado

Which begs the question, why do I not live in Colorado? After this trip through Michigan, perhaps we should schedule another trip to Colorado. I think the first Avery that I tried was the Collaboration not Litigation. This is a collaboration between Avery and Russian River Brewing. According to the label, both breweries made a beer they called "Salvation." Rather than litigate over the rights to the name, they decided to combine their efforts and make a new beer. Now, for those of you who do not know me, I am a lawyer. You might think I would encourage litigation. Well, you would be wrong, especially when the byproduct is a good new beer. Joy bought me this beer because of the name and we enjoyed sharing it. This ale turned me on to Avery and I have enjoyed a number of their offerings.

Every time I go to visit my mother, she buys a six-pack of Ellie's Brown Ale for her fridge. She picked it because of the label, I guess it runs in the family. Fortunately, I like this brown ale. I find it to have a nice subtle chocolate malty flavor. I also like the White Rascal, which I think is somewhere between a wheat and a witbier. I can taste the orange peel and coriander, but it still has a strong wheat overtone. I've already written about my love for (and personal lack of good) Karma. I like the labels for the Mephistopheles' Stout and Samael's Oak-aged ale, but if they scare you, they should. Both are over 15% abv and kicked my wimpy taste buds. Finally, the pale ales. Honestly, the IPA did not leave an impression, but I enjoyed the Ale to the Chief! How can you not like a beer that is brewed in honor of President Obama taking the oath of office and all that promise of a better future? The ale did not disappoint, but the verdict is still out on the new administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment