Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Apropos

Finishing my efforts tonight with a group of Dogfish Head labels seems very apropos to me. Many of these interesting ales have kicked my butt over the years. Again, I am trying to stay away from the war stories, but it is so tempting when it comes to Dogfish Head. First, I do not understand why I do not have a label from the 120 Minute IPA. I tried this once and learned my lesson. At the time, I think it was the strongest beer available in the states. Wow. Where to start? The Popskull is a collaboration with Three Floyds and actually makes my list of top five current favorites; it is very smooth and not too strong (10% abv). The palo santo wood aging is excellent, which is a nice segue into the Palo Santo Marron. I found this to be a little strong, both in alcohol (12%) and flavor. The Punkin Ale is one of my favorite pumpkin ales, although I do not think I could drink more than one in a sitting.

Ok, now for the war story about the Fort. I picked one up because it is brewed with raspberries, and I like raspberries. The fort comes in a 1 pint 9.6 oz. bottle. I shared it with Joy over a nice home-cooked meal. I was loaded. Although it is not on the label, the Fort is something like 18% abv. I'm not really sure what happened, but I remember thinking the next day, "wow, that beer really kicked my butt." I also remember thinking as I drank it, this is a nice smooth beer, I wish I had another bottle.


1 comment: