Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's hard to resist the war stories

I tried to convince a friend at my old job that Heineken was a macro brewery and that he should try some small craft brews. After leaving a few samples on his desk, he returned the favor with a Whale's Tale Pale Ale that he brought back for me from Nantucket. I enjoyed the pale ale. Then, about three years later, I received the lager and the pale ale as my beer of the month selection. Nice.

Here's where the war story temptation rears its ugly head. New Belgium runs this cool scavenger hunt type of ride in cities across the country. The event is very cool and very early in the morning. We entered the race, rode our bikes three miles to the start, rode approximately twenty-six miles during the event, and I rode 2.9 miles home. If we meet some time, I will tell you about the last .1 mile. Back to the beer. My favorite New Belgium is the Mothership Wit, which now has a new label. I like the old label. I generally like witbiers and this is no exception. I wish that it finished just a little more crisply, but overall, I enjoy it. I find the Skinny Dip and Fat Tire a little too sweet. I have also tried the 1554 Dark stout (too malty for me), but was not able to salvage the label, and the Lips of Faith La Folie sour ale (I like the sour), which comes in a printed bottle (so no label).

No comments:

Post a Comment