Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recent tastings, missing labels and more beer of the month

I had one large envelope of random domestic microbrews, which resulted in a number of photos that appear to have no organizational theme. Sorry, I never promised you an organized rose garden. The Alpha King is from Three Floyds, but was still on the bottle when I did the previous post about that brewery. This is on tap many places in Chicago and is an easy-drinking pale ale. I enjoyed the New Holland "The Poet" much more than I expected. A friend brought over a six-pack for a dinner and we all enjoyed it. I have not been much of a New Holland fan. They brew a lot of imperial stouts, a style that tends to overpower me with a strong burnt malty flavor. The Poet, however, is a nice smooth oatmeal stout. I liked it so much that I added New Holland to my upcoming Michigan trip! Thanks, NDH!

Pete's Wicked and Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager were among my first microbrews. In fact, the Blackened Voodoo Lager was the first beer I drank (legally) in a bar. I recently bought a six-pack of the lager and was pleased with its crisp clean taste. As its name suggests, Dixie is from the south, specifically New Orleans. The brewery was destroyed by hurricane Katrina and the beer currently is brewed under contract in Wisconsin. I will continue to have the occasional Blackened Voodoo Lager because I enjoy it and I feel like I'm supporting the brewery.

The Weyerbacher Merry Monks' Belgian Style Golden Ale was the favorite of one of our guests at the Pennsylvania beer tasting. I find it to be a bit sweet and strong for a golden ale, perhaps closer to a tripel, but enjoyable nonetheless. A few of these will make you quite merry, indeed! ANG, if you are interested, there are a few in the auxiliary fridge, which will be closing soon if it keeps warming up!

The Ipswich Nut Brown and Black Hawk Stout came from the beer of the month club. I was pleasantly surprised by both.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. Resurrection was highly recommended by G&V in Baltimore. Too bad we I can't remember what it tasted like after the second bottle and some delicious Maryland crabs.

    I used to really like the Strawberry Blond. I think my taste for sweet beers is disappearing.

    Can I be a beer aficionado if my favorite beer is Boddingtons? Hmm. Maybe I can just be British?

    ReplyDelete