Friday, February 26, 2010

Some of My Current Favorites - 1 of 3



About six years ago, I started collecting labels from the ales and lagers that I drank. I had an idea that I would collect a few labels and then build a bar for my house and decorate it with the labels (and caps) that I saved. Well, I never had a good place to put a bar, but I kept collecting labels and caps anyway. Sometimes the labels are difficult to remove or are painted on the bottle, so this collection will not be a complete representation of everything I have tried. Nevertheless, the collection took on a life of its own. Six years later, I have hundreds of labels and caps and I decided that it was time to sort through them.

This morning I finished sorting all of the labels from the last six years. I'm proud and embarrassed to say that I believe I have at least sampled each of these ales and lagers. Some were memorable because I liked them, others because I did not like them, but many were unremarkable. I have selected a handful of my current favorites because I am a little overwhelmed by the scope of this project and I wanted to get this blog off the ground. In no particular order, here are some of my favorites.

In this picture:
Three Floyd's & DogfishHead Popskull - I bought this after a tour of the Three Floyd's brewery and it was only available at the taphouse. I really liked this collaboration. It is aged in paolo santo wood casks. If you can get your hands on some, I recommend it.
SlyFox Raspberry Reserve - I liked this and did not think it was too fruity.
Ommegang Hennepin - This is perhaps my favorite farmhouse.
Avery Karma - I can always use some good karma, and this is very good Karma.

Notably absent from this series of three photos is a label for Trappist Rochefort 10 - another of my all-time top five. I don't know why I do not have a label for this beer because I once bought myself a case for my birthday. I will have to see about fixing this as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment